Perfect Stovetop Popcorn
Here’s our fave cooking method for making popcorn on the stove, so that it doesn’t burn and nearly every kernel POPS!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
Salt , to taste
- Pour the oil into a large pot (with lid) so that it covers the bottom. (A heavy-bottom pot is ideal.)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Place three kernels into the center of the pot and wait for them to pop.
- When they have popped, remove them and discard. Add the 1/2 cup kernels, keeping them in an even layer.
- Cover the pot and remove from the heat. Count to 30.
Return pot to the heat. The popcorn will soon start to pop all at once!
- Once the popping is more frequent, gently shake the pot back and forth over the burner. Leave a slight opening for steam to escape to make your popcorn crispy.
- Once the popping becomes quieter, remove the pot from the heat. Remove the lid and immediately pour the popcorn into a big bowl.
- Sprinkle the hot popcorn with a little salt to taste, and melted butter if you wish. ENJOY!!